|Saint Mary's Cathedral in the early 1840sImage : The State Library of NSW.|
This watercolour, looking north-east from Hyde Park, shews the Western facade and southern walls of old Saint Mary's Cathedral. It is the work of an unknown artist, from the early 1840s. It is not a very sophisticated depiction, but emphasises the plainness of the building and its square proportions.
Beyond the Cathedral can be seen part of the Cathedral residences and Saint Joseph's chapel (a two storey-building), which had been built in the period 1824-1830, before the Cathedral was completed. In the foreground is the fence separating Hyde Park from the track which would later form College Street.