|Image : State Library of NSW.|
This photograph, taken either from the campanile of the Sydney Town Hall (or possibly the adjacent Saint Andrew's Cathedral) shews progress on the construction of Saint Mary's Cathedral in 1888. It is the view from the opposite direction to the photograph in our previous post.
In the middle ground, is Hyde Park; in the background, Sydney Harbour.
On the right side is depicted the remaining facade of the old Saint Mary's which had been destroyed by fire in 1865. This structure faced College Street. The bulk of the present Cathedral is adjacent to it.
By 1888, the construction of the sanctuary, Crossing and two bays of the nave had reached to the height of the aisles : clearly shewn here, punctuated with windows. The masonry of the two transept Rose Windows had also been completed by this time, although not glazed. On the left, the newly-completed Northern gable is shewn with timber members extending from it. This was the beginning work on the line of the roof extending along the full length of the building. A temporary roof - completed in the early 1880s - is shewn, which also ran along the full length of the building. As the clerestory and permanent roof were constructed, this temporary roof was removed. The temporary roof also served as a platform for the builders to continue upper-level construction.
Not visible in this photograph are the completed sacristies.
Since 1882, the interior of Saint Mary's had been in a fit state for the purposes of the Sacred Liturgy, although in an incomplete state.