|Image : State Library of NSW.|
This wonderful photograph taken during 1888, shews the Northern facade of Saint Mary's Cathedral as seen through the gates of The Domain.
The Northern facade of the Cathedral had been completed to its full height and its carved stone statues installed by 1886. In January, 1888, work commenced on building the roof of the sanctuary southward from the Northern facade to the Crossing. The structure of the sanctuary roof in the building process can just be seen through the trees.
Click on the image for an enlarged view.