09 March, 2020
This is a sketch from the year 1849 drawn from a vantage point in Hyde Park. The large building on the right is the old Saint Mary's Cathedral. To its right - and seeming to look attached - is the smaller Gothic structure of the Cathedral Chapter House, then used as a school.
In the centre of the sketch is shewn the Hyde Park Barracks and between it and the Cathedral is the campanile or tower housing the bells of Saint Mary's. Both the campanile and Chapter House were built to the designs of the renowned English architect AWN Pugin.
Running through the right-hand size of the sketch (and slightly enhanced digitally) is College Street.
This sketch is in Collection of the National Library of Australia.