|Looking north from Woolloomooloo towards the city of Sydney circa 1837.|
This watercolour by the artist Robert Russell was painted around 1837 looking northward to what was part of Woolloomooloo and the city of Sydney. We would identify the spot today as approximately the site of the ANZAC Memorial in the southern precinct of Hyde Park, looking north.
In the middle ground on the right is depicted the southern side of old Saint Mary's Cathedral. The old Cathedral faced westward into the bare expanse of what became Hyde Park.
Beyond old Saint Mary's is the red brick structure of the Convict Barracks (now known as The Hyde Park Barracks), where Bishop Polding, Father Therry and other pioneering Catholic priests frequently ministered to the confined inmates.
To the left is seen the graceful spire of Saint James' Anglican church, King Street.
This image is part of the collection of the National Library of Australia.