|Hyde Park, 1829|
Image : Caroline Simpson Library & Research Collection, Sydney Living Museums
This is an engraving of Hyde Park, Sydney, based on a drawing of 1829 by the artist J Carmichael. The view is looking northwards across Hyde Park and shews in the distance a number of buildings which are still in existence almost two hundred years later.
The Supreme Court and Saint James' Anglican church are shewn at centre left. To the right is the Rum Hospital (now the Mint Building) and beside it, the Hyde Park Barracks. To assist with identification, names of the buildings have been digitally added.
On the righthand of the engraving is shewn Old Saint Mary's, still under construction and before it began to be used as a place of worship. The walls are in place and the timber members of the roof, but the actual timber shingles were not in place for a few years more, owing to a lack of money to complete work. At this time, 1829, the roadway we now know as College Street did not exist, but Saint Mary's Road (as it would later be known), seen in the engraving, was part of a roadway leading to Woolloomooloo Bay.
Click on the image for an enlarged view.